Benefits of organic food for the environment
Have you ever wondered what’s behind what you’re eating? Many times we consume food without stopping to think about its nutritional values or its production process and impact on our environment. However, this trend is changing little by little.
The consumption of organic food is becoming more and more widespread in today’s families, due to increased environmental awareness and the adoption of a healthier lifestyle.
Although the cost of buying an organic product may seem higher compared to a traditional product, the future benefits for your family’s well-being and the conservation of the environment are incalculable.
Importance of organic farming
Organic production eliminates the use of pesticides, fertilizers, modified seeds, and other chemicals that not only affect the soil, but can also alter the organoleptic properties (taste, color, texture, and smell) of the food, or contaminate it. In Organic production this is replaced by natural agricultural techniques that include organic fertilizers and manure, thus caring for the soil and the health of consumers.
Organic food health
Advantages of organic foods:
- They are high in nutrients because they are not exposed to conventional chemicals.
- Natural cultivation is a guarantee of quality and is safe for consumption by children who have not yet developed their defences.
- They retain their natural properties such as aroma, taste and colour.
- It is a support for small and medium farmers and promotes employment in the field.
- With this form of cultivation farmers help to protect biodiversity.
- It seeks to protect the air, water and soil, preventing them from being polluted.
- Oftentimes the cultivation is based on the use of renewable resources.
- The animals are raised in good conditions and do not receive hormones or antibiotics.
- The food is free of toxic substances.
All these benefits have led to a transformation not only of consumers, but also of agricultural production that has had to seek certification methods to differentiate organic products from conventional products. So if you go to a supermarket today in search of an organic product, you can identify it by the label and verify that it has the recognition of an authorized entity or go directly to the small farmer to get fresh food and in the best conditions.
You can also create your own garden at home, this will make you have a pleasant time and will give you enormous satisfaction knowing that what you consume at home was planted by you.
Conclusions of organic farming
Finally, keep in mind that adopting healthy and environmentally-friendly eating habits is part of an integral lifestyle and should be accompanied by actions such as recycling, the use of ecological bags, energy saving and an environmental education process involving the whole family. Balecy empowers and guides you through this process.
Take on the challenge and try to consume only organic products this week (e.g. bought at a farmer’s market, supermarket or grown by yourself!). Tag @balecy_official on Instagram and get support from the community.